You don’t have to be 21, to be able to touch your toes or have the body beautiful with amazing abs. Whatever your gender, age, shape, size, ability or fitness level, yoga is a very personal practice all about you and your journey. It is non competitive and everyone’s body is unique .
The benefits of yoga are immense. Here are just a few to think about .....
· A yoga lesson can have the same cardiovascular workout as a run or a swim but you just don’t leave your mat
· Weight loss, strengthens muscles and bones, plus tones core
· Reduces the level of stress hormones which in turn improves sleep quality and calmness
· Improves flexibility, posture and balance helping to keep the spine supple
· Ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation are all exacerbated by stress. If you practice yoga and stress less, you suffer less
· Yoga encourages you to relax, slow your breath and focus on the present – these all lower the heart rate which decreases blood pressure
· Yoga slows down the mental loops of frustration, regret, anger, fear and desire that can cause stress. Stress is implicated in so many health problems such as migraines, insomnia, lupus, MS, eczema, high blood pressure and heart attacks. If you live to quiet your mind, you will be more likely to live longer and healthier
· Gets blood flowing which in turn helps circulation
· Increases drainage of lymph system which helps fight infections
· Gets the heart rate into an aerobic range which helps lower risk of heart disease/attack and relieves depression
· Found to lower blood sugar and LHL ‘bad’ cholesterol helping diabetes sufferers
· Regular yoga improves co-ordination, reaction time and memory
· Yogis tend to take fewer breaths of greater volume, which is both calming and more efficient for the lungs
· If you suffer from low self esteem, you may pay the price for poorer health mentally, physically and spiritually. Yoga’s philosophy teaches feelings of gratitude, empathy, forgiveness and the sense that you are part of something bigger
The NHS has a dedicated page for the benefits of yoga - please click on the link below for further information
I HAVE NEVER DONE YOGA BEFORE AND I’M NOT A HEALTH FREAK
Yogis don’t judge, it’s for everyone and all are welcome.
WILL I LOSE WEIGHT?
It will aid weight loss and your body will become more toned which in turn will make you feel great and boost self esteem.
I’M WORRIED I’M SO STIFF AND I CAN’T TOUCH MY TOES
Then you should definitely do yoga! The body was designed to keep moving and if you haven’t touched your toes since leaving school, don’t worry there is no such thing as being bad at yoga
AM I TOO OLD FOR YOGA?
Most definitely not, anybody at any age can start yoga and notice immediate benefits, as mentioned above.
I HAVE A BAD BACK AND DODGY KNEE, CAN I STILL DO YOGA?
As long as your GP has given you the go ahead to do physical exercise, yoga poses can be adapted to make sure you get the most from the class.